Gutter installation is a growing career field, with many opportunities for those who enjoy working with their hands and being outdoors. In this guide, we will explore what a gutter installer does, an example job description, and how to join the gutter installation industry.
What is a Gutter Installer?
A gutter installer is a skilled tradesperson who installs and repairs gutters on residential and commercial buildings.
They work with a variety of materials, including aluminum, copper, and vinyl, and use specialized tools to measure, cut, and install gutters.
Gutter installers must have a strong attention to detail and be able to work at heights, as much of their work is done on ladders or scaffolding.
Example Gutter Installer Job Description
A typical job description for gutter installers includes the following responsibilities:
- Measure and cut gutters to fit the dimensions of a building
- Install gutters using hangers, screws, and other fasteners
- Seal joints and corners to prevent leaks
- Repair and replace damaged gutters
- Clean gutters and downspouts as needed
The salary for gutter installers can vary depending on experience, location, and the size of the company they work for.
How To Become a Gutter Installer
If you’re interested in becoming a gutter installer, there are several steps you can take to get started:
- Obtain a high school diploma or equivalent: Most gutter installation companies require a high school diploma or GED.
- Gain experience in construction or a related field: Experience in a related field, such as roofing or carpentry, can be helpful when pursuing a career in gutter installation.
- Complete an apprenticeship: Many gutter installation companies offer apprenticeships, which provide on-the-job training and classroom instruction.
- Obtain certification: While not required, obtaining a certification from a professional organization, such as the National Association of Home Builders, can demonstrate your expertise and increase your job prospects.
- Continually improve your skills: Gutter installation technology is constantly evolving, so it’s important to stay up-to-date on the latest techniques and materials.
Interested in a Gutter Installation Career?
If working outside in an evergreen industry sounds compelling, check out our gutter installation jobs and see if this career path is right for you.